Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sometimes He's subtle

We went to Hope Church today in Apple Valley.  It was a very last-minute thing.  Usually on Saturday night we have great enthusiasm about going to church, and then on Sunday morning it doesn't seem like the great idea it was the night before.  I'd stopped asking Eric for a while because I would feel so bad waking him up after just an hour or so of sleep to see if he still wants to go.  I'm a girl who LOVES sleep, and the thought of him working all night, napping for an hour, getting all dressed up and going to sit in church for an hour seems cruel.  But I did it today because I was already awake and had a church picked out. 

We'd never been to this church before and were the last ones in before they closed the doors to the sanctuary.  I sat next to a high school girl who looked a little disgusted at me because I practically had to sit on her coat in order to have a seat.  They started with a man who couldn't talk because he kept breaking into tears about prayer group followed by a long and technologically challenged skype from African missionaries, and immediately I wasn't sure this was the place for us.  But since we were already there I was determined to pay attention and try to remember that I wasn't there for ME but I was there to worship.  I was a little distracted by the really cute little girl in the seat ahead of me...I kind of wanted to pull her hair back or something mothery like that when she wouldn't stop turning around and looking at me.  I wanted to poke her when she stuck out her tummy at me.  I laughed when she grabbed her dad's butt when he wasn't looking.  I was very touched when she held her older sister's hand while we sang.  "Okay, stop thinking about kids and pay attention" I told myself.

But God is funny sometimes.  And sometimes He's NOT very subtle.

When I started this blog, I wasn't sure there would be longevity.  Maybe I would get bored and stop writing.  That might still happen.  But God provided something to write about.

The sermon was on creation.

And not just creation, but God knitting together little babies in wombs.  In fact, the pastor pointed out a half dozen women who were currently being knitted "in" and asked if anyone else (it's a small church) was in that way.  (Which I am not in case you were wondering.)

Seriously?

I like signs.  Once in elementary I prayed that He would give me a sign as to whether or not I should talk to my friend about salvation.  And something fell off the wall.  I counted it as a sign and we are still friends to this day.  Is this my sign that I forgot to even ask for?

Well, no matter what happens, I have very little control ("Many are the plans in a man's heart but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails" Prov 19:21), but it will all be God's plan so really why even worry?

Eric believes the verse that best applies to us is the whole "Be fruitful and multiply" thing by the way.  What a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment