Wednesday, February 23, 2011

On the Bright Side

Yesterday I was bitten in the cheek by a dog at work. I called Eric to meet me at an Urgent Care first and they recommended the ER so that a plastic surgeon could explore it for nerve damage.  So we went to the ER that was accross the street but they didn't have a plastic surgeon.  They said that we could go to a trauma center in St. Paul which may or may not have a cosmetic surgeon look at it, but by this point it was 2 hours post-trauma and I didn't know if we should be driving all over and waiting more for what could be the same outcome.  So we stayed there and my doctor there was really nice.  I suppose it looks as good as it can... I am seeing a cosmetic surgeon today for follow up. Today it hurts a lot more than yesterday due to the swelling and I suppose immune response/drainage to neck lymph node.  It's like having a sore throat on only one side, so it kinda hurts to eat/swallow.  


I was really scared going to the doctor.  I was putting together a treatment plan in my head of what they would need to do (or what I would do for a dog in the same situation), which included some things they did actually do (injecting a painful local anesthetic into my face so they could work, flushing vigorously, suturing) and things they did not (IV catheter and antibiotics, re-cut or "freshen" the edges to make it heal better).  It probably seems a little silly to you that I can easily perform the above procedures but was incredibly nervous to have it done to me. 


Earlier this week I was watching "one born every minute", a new lifetime reality show that chronicles a few couples each week through the birth of a baby.  My intent in watching was to prepare myself for what really happens, and to see if I can do it.  My first impression is that newborn babies are REALLY ugly and that everyone ignores this fact and says how beautiful, cute, and wonderful they are.  I truly hope that I feel differently about my own, and can participate in the farce whole-heartedly.  The next thing I of course have focused on is the PAIN.  The pain of horrible catheters, contractions, epidurals, and of course the birth.  The last thing I have been thinking about is the husband's role in the delivery process.  Some husbands are doing their own thing: playing on their phones, eating fast-food despite the fact that their wife can't, sitting apart from their wives.  Some husbands are the opposite: giving shoulder rubs, stroking the wife's hair, talking to her soothingly just inches from her face.  I wondered what type of husband Eric will be in the delivery room.  He is very caring, don't get me wrong.  But he's not the type to run down the hall calling for a nurse ASAP because the epidural has worn off. 


The time I spent in the ER yesterday was a nice surprise, despite my anxiety and the pain.  Eric did not make any complaint that I had woken him up to meet me there.  When I arrived he was outside (which may just have been good timing, but still) and I had him go park my car so I could go right in and get in line.  He had thought to bring Aleve with him for me.  And got me water to take it.  He held my coat and purse, and even got things OUT of the purse when asked (which he really hates).  He held my hand, sat next to me the entire time, and continually tried to cheer me up by making jokes.  When we had to decide where to go, he supported going from the Urgent Care to the ER even though we'd already been waiting at the Urgent Care for a while.  He tried to keep me warm when I was shivering, and offered me his coat since mine was all bloody and smelly.  On the way home he brought food (since it was 4:30 and we'd missed lunch).  Later he went out and got prescriptions, movies, and milk.  And then went out again because I had wanted ice cream and he'd forgotten.  All without hesitation or complaint.  Later he told me that I would look tough with my new scar, which I think was supposed to be a compliment if you are a guy.


I think we just might be able to pull off this whole baby thing as a team.  You may say that the things above are just to be expected from a husband when the wife is in need, but we have not had many situations in the 3.5 years we've been married where he had the chance to demonstrate it.  Also I know that I can put up with a little anxiety and pain (though I realize it will be multiplied a million times when it is labor and delivery).  So on the bright side, I feel a little more confident about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment